Jewel of S.Korea

Jewel of S.Korea

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Interview of Park Si Hoo in the Director's Cut DVD of "The Princess' Man" and more; Enjoy!!!



Interview of Park Si Hoo (PSH)

in the Director’s Cut DVD of 
“The Princess’s Man”(TPM)

  1. What is “The Princess’s Man” to actor Park Si Hoo ?


PSH: Everybody says I’m more suited to acting in a historical drama than expected. Anyway my fans have increased considerably, as well as the fan base – from very young fans to grandmothers. Many people have “discovered” me, which makes me very thankful and very happy. During shooting, I spent most of my time in the mountains and countryside, so I didn’t realize this. But now that I’m back and I’ve felt this. I’ve been in a lot of good dramas so far. TPM – yes, very difficult physically and emotionally very draining. An unforgettable work …. very difficult to extract myself. This drama is like a black hole? Ha!Ha!Ha! I should get out …. Ha!Ha!Ha! 
 
  2. After TPM ended, how did you pass you time?
PSH: It’s not even been a week. It’s very difficult to extract myself from my character. When I was doing a photo shoot in Bali, I kept thinking about TPM shooting. I also thought of Se Ryeong.  (PSH shows reporter a photo of the last scene on his cell phone – of Se Ryeong leaning against Seung Yoo. He says photo is taken with a camera and transferred to his cell phone.) Do we look very close? Although not easy, I have to try to get out of this character. I have to start shooting a film right away. It’s not easy, but I must get out …. Ha!Ha!Ha!



  3. Please say something about the character of Kim Seung Yoo.
PSH: His character is really varied — in the early parts he is carefree and cheerful but becomes a dark character in the second half. He changes from “sweet and gentle man”, “Perfect Korean Man” to “Dark Seung Yoo”. I show a totally new side of him.
He becomes the incarnation of revenge. His father is killed and he would do anything to avenge him. Finally he really wants to cut off Su Yang’s arm. Originally there is such a scene (in the temple) in the script but it was later cut.


  4. Anything in common between Kim Seung Yoo and Park Si Hoo ?
PSH: It is difficult to distinguish Park Si Hoo from Kim Seung Yoo because I am totally immersed in the character…. Isn’t it natural to draw from your own experience while acting? Especially in the early parts.



 5. Did you have any difficulties with the action scenes?
PSH: I gained lots of helpful experience while shooting ”Iljimae” before. I could not practice in the action school, so I was originally a little concerned. But everybody says I did better than anticipated. Maybe it’s because I have stamina.
The production staff ask me if I’m someone who is never tired, who becomes energized as soon as I’ve eaten something. Actually the action scenes are very difficult; it’s just that I seem to have the constitution for historical dramas.



   
 6. What was the interaction among the actors like?
PSH: Very good. We 3 friends (together with Jung Jong and Shin Myeong) get on very well on set. Also with the cast of the brothel. I feel the scenes with my senior Kim Roa Ha came out very well. As for Moon Chae Won, I’ve known her for a long time and she’s like a sister to me. From the start it’s been very comfortable and pleasant working with her.



  7. Do you want to experience love like in TPM?
PSH: No! I don’t like tragic love … I want to try sweet love. I’ve not been in a love relationship for a long time … oh … seems I’ve forgotten the feeling of love … seems like I’ve found the feeling during shooting of drama. Ha!Ha!Ha!
Those romantic love scenes should really be in a love relationship and then displayed in the drama, but now can only find them in the drama … seems a pity!

It’s been a long time since I’ve been in a love relationship … 5 or 6 years? Wish I could have a girlfriend … Ha!Ha!Ha! Please appear! I’ll be very good to you!



  8. What is the most memorable scene with Se Ryeong?
PSH: I like the swing scene, also the horse riding dates.



 9. Do you like horse riding?
PSH: Yes, I do. I’ve also been on horse riding dates. After the drama ended, I wanted to go horse riding, but couldn’t find any place. The trainer likes me very much. I ride well and I also like horses … Ha!Ha!Ha! So I’m suited to acting in historical dramas. I like horses … I can perform in action scenes … and I also like traveling.
BBQ with manager and production staff … admiring the view … sitting on a chair enjoying the breeze … waiting and dozing … this is the fun of filming historical drama, right? Ha!Ha!Ha!
Although commuting between different parts of the country is hard … wearing traditional Korean costumes is so hot … There seems to be pros and cons to everything.



   
 10. What is the most difficult scene?
PSH: In the prison. Especially the scene when I’m strangling Se Ryeong. Before grabbing her neck, I had to demonstrate I was torn between betrayal and self-condemnation … screaming, shivering … tightening the grip. That day we shot successive prison scenes … that day I was totally exhausted. It was really very hard; that’s why I remember it so well.


   
  11. What is your favorite costume?
PSH: The yellow hanbok during the swing date — Se Ryeong is on the swing, Seung Yoo is watching her and falling in love. That attire is very appropriate to my emotional state, my infatuation with Se Ryeong. I like that moment and that costume very much.

In my incarnation of revenge later, I also like the black outfit and hairstyle. Everyone says it’s as if a wuxia character in novels has appeared on a TV drama.

I am looking at the monitor … so cool … a little embarrassing … Ha!Ha!Ha! … Yeah, very handsome! First time I appear in such an outfit … ah … better than expected. Ha!Ha!Ha! You wanna throw stones [at me]? Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!


  12. How does Seung Yoo feel about rejecting Se Ryeong?
PSH: He rejects her because of a sense of betrayal. Also a variety of other factors … A pity the sweet love scenes in the first half are too short. You have to experience happy love to more deeply feel the tragic love in the second half. Really a pity!

 

 13. Were you worried about how the love with Se Ryeong will develop?
PSH: Because of betrayal, how will the love with Se Ryeong unfold? I was very worried but also most curious about how the writers would develop the relationship.
In the abduction scene, while uttering those painful lines, I really felt this was real. Really had this kind of feeling. Gagging Se Ryeong, pointing the blade at her … during shooting, Seung Yoo says this is revenge, but it’s really because he loves her and wants her by his side … that’s how I felt then. He knows how Se Ryeong feels but he still has to revenge … such complex feelings!


14. How did you get on with Su Yang during shooting?
[There's an incident of Kim Young Chul (who plays Su Yang) scolding PSH on set. It was during shooting of that scene in Episode 4 of KSY being dragged out for interrogation. All actors were on standby, except PSH who was resting. He was not notified.]




PSH: My senior Kim Young Chul thought it was so strange that I was absent, so he came looking for me and found me resting. He was very angry: “Why aren’t you out there?” he roared. He gave me a dressing down in front of everybody. But it was actually a misunderstanding and he clarified it later in news reports.

  15. What was it like when you first started shooting?
PSH: The first scene we shot was the Wando Island shipwreck and escape from sea. We had to jump into the middle of the ocean … Ha!Ha!Ha! It was spring, very cold … very difficult shooting these scenes. We shot up to 5 hours at a stretch … it’s not easy.



16. What about the ending scene?
PSH: I thought it would be different. I couldn’t imagine being blind at the end. I thought both would die, or Seung Yoo would die. It was impossible to imagine a happy ending for Seung Yoo. Impossible to live happily while father, brother, friends, everybody around him all died.



  17. What is Se Ryeong’s greatest attraction?
PSH: Not afraid of difficulties; saved my life many times. Ha!Ha!Ha! During shooting, I kept thinking … oh, do I really have to hide behind a woman? Ooh… shouldn’t I at least be given the chance to rescue her once?


At the end of Episode 23, when I saved her from the hands of the rebels, I was so happy I clapped my hands … finally!

  
18. What do you think of that child actor Kim Yoo Bin who plays Ah Kang?
PSH: A little genius. She has mastered her role and is emotionally immersed – very lovely, very cute! In and out of the drama, we’re just like uncle and niece.

   
19. What is the secret of your baby face?
PSH: I aged a lot during shooting of TPM. Ha!Ha!Ha! People say it’s because I don’t drink or smoke. I almost never drink, and I’ve really never smoked.

 

20. What about the photos you posted?
PSH: Yes, I posted photos on the internet. My fans are happy to see those photos. I don’t post that frequently, about once a week. When I see my fans happy, I feel happy too. That’s why I often ask my manager to take my photos. Ha!Ha!Ha! 


21. Finally, please say something to TPM Fans.
PSH: Fans who like TPM …

When we first started shooting TPM, I kept thinking about when this 24-episode drama would end … it is not easy to get out of character. Now that it has really ended, it feels like it has only started shooting a few days ago. I don’t feel like parting from Kim Seung Yoo.
 


Please, everyone, remember TPM for a long, long time.  Give it a lot of love, give Seung Yoo a lot of love, and support PSH.  TPM, fighting!

 

  Park Si Hoo  &  Moon Chae Won 
 
PSH: In Episode 21 there is that second kiss with Se Ryeong … oh … script says “Passionate Kiss” … so I felt I had to do it with passion, that’s why I kissed for a long time … Ha!Ha!Ha!
When I kiss, I need a little time to warm up, to get the feel, in order to display the emotion … you have to pour out your emotions to raise it a notch. During the process, the Director shouted: “Cut!” He asked why I kissed for so long, whether it was because I wanted to kiss for so long. It’s not like that at all. I wanted to create a beautiful tragic feeling with the elevation of emotions. If he didn’t like it, he could always delete it later. I said to the Director: “You should have waited a little. Why did you say CUT? You should consider the actor’s feelings. Next time please don’t interrupt.” Ha!Ha!Ha!




MCW: In the second half of the drama there are more love scenes. After that fan kiss there’s the campfire kiss, and others too. Actually we received suggestions that there shouldn’t be too many emotional scenes in a historical drama. I had a lot of discussion about this part with the two directors. While we were discussing, Sihoo oppa arrived. So I asked him: “We’re going to shoot this part … kiss here … shoulder part … what to do?” Sihoo oppa said: “We’ll just follow the script.”






PSH: I’m the kind of actor who is faithful to the script. I follow completely what the scriptwriter has written. So in those scenes I just follow the script absolutely.

MCW: Sihoo oppa is a straightforward and basic person; he will not do anything exceeding the limits or disguise anything. Oppa said we should follow the script, so that’s how we shot the scene. The day after this was broadcast, the Director said originally they thought love scenes would raise the ratings but apparently, they did not have much effect. Maybe it’s because our drama is for family viewing. The love scenes in Episode 21 may be a little too much for families watching together, so they had to switch channels.






Credits: port.ro for interview; screencaps KBS2 and Google images for photos, Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this interesting interview Daniela. You must have put a lot of work and time in it for finding the approriate images. You've done a great job.^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It's a tribute to Park Si Hoo's awesome work and I really tried to make his words to live through images. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Thank you very much for sharing this amazing interview. They are my favourite couple and this is the best love story I've ever watched. Truly a blackhole! Can't get out of the beautiful feeling.Hope to see them together in another work soon. Love you both alot💚💚

    ReplyDelete